Thursday, January 26, 2017

Hack by Melissa Plaut

[Cover]


Melissa Plaut was where many of us have been in our lives: trying to figure out what to do with her life and coming up empty-handed. She shifted her focus from what she would do for the rest of her life to what she would do next, and decided that driving a cab in New York City was what she would do next.

She tells her story very well, with a good mix of humor and seriousness, and a wide range of fascinating stories that make you go, "I never thought of that" (unless, perhaps, you have been a cab driver yourself, in which case you might say, "Oh I've been there!")

If you are typically a fiction reader, this autobiography is a comfortable foray into non-fiction, because it reads like a narrative. Other autobiographies and non-fiction I have found to be easy reads for my fiction-reading self include I Am Malala, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (reviewed here), and Stiff (reviewed here).

No comments: