Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Simple Matters by Erin Boyle

It seemed like the past year’s lifestyle trend has been all about decluttering and simplifying one’s life. I jumped on the bandwagon and borrowed a copy of Marie Kondo’s Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up hoping to make some sense of my clutter. I opened the pocket-sized book, read a couple sections, closed it and never experienced the magic. My life was not changed. Months later I found myself standing in a brand new house with the same pile of junk all around me, so I decided to try again.

Erin Boyle’s Simple Matters renewed my sense of minimalism. In her book she takes the time to express her intent of sharing her lifestyle. In the last paragraph of her introduction she simply states: “Living simply requires conscious acts.” That line sets the tone for the rest of the book.

The book is divided into nine easy chapters on topics such as decluttering, organizing, wardrobe, and bath and beauty. Simple Matters helps the reader learn to make purposeful and simple decisions about their home and life. Marie Kondo emphatically encourages the reader to throw away what doesn’t spark joy whereas Boyle inspires the reader to make more meaningful and slow choices. Decluttering a home is not a quick project nor is choosing the right type of furniture or cooking utensils.

Erin Boyle includes her personal tips and favorite home pieces, and also includes recipes for natural cleaning and beauty products. She emphasizes on the quality of what one brings into their life and makes the idea of living more minimally welcoming.

No comments: