Thursday, July 14, 2016

Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel

[Cover]

After having read Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (a graphic novel about growing up in her family's funeral home), I thought I might enjoy her graphic novel about her mother: Are You My Mother? I was wrong, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean you won't like it!

Alison Bechdel has clearly done a lot of studying in the field of psychology, and she puts a lot of her knowledge to use in this book. She heavily draws from the work and life of Donald Winnicott, a twentieth-century psychoanalyst, to explain to her mother and the reader what she thinks of their relationship and her personal development as her mother's daughter.

If you enjoy Are You My Mother, you may enjoy Fun Home (this link is for the audio of the Broadway musical based on Alison Bechdel's book). If you want to read more about Donald Winnicott's work, read Winnicott on the Child.

No comments: