Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Hurry Up and Wait by Maira Kalman and Daniel Handler


Recently I discovered that my favorite author published books, not only under his pen name (Lemony Snicket), but also under his real name, Daniel Handler. I was ecstatic and quickly checked out every single title he had under that name. A few days later, I sheepishly returned most of them, as I realized I could not possibly read so many books before they were due back. However, I am now working my way through this new-found trove and I just discovered this treasure.

Hurry Up and Wait is a collection of art depicting people in various states of movement. Some are walking, some are riding bikes, or jumping, or running, or even waiting. Interspersed with these works of art are amusing captions from Daniel Handler. His writings read like an inner dialogue; some pages contain moving words of wisdom, while others give voice to what the subjects in the pictures may be thinking.

Hurry Up and Wait is an unusual and amusing art/written word collaboration. I enjoyed the variety of works portrayed throughout the book as well as Handler's whimsical captions. This is a short book with no real plot or story line, and lends itself to being picked up and flipped through at random.

If you enjoy Hurry Up and Wait, look for Maira Kalman and Daniel Handler's other collaboration Girls Standing on Lawns. Or for more from Daniel Handler (under his pen name), try Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid. These unusual books and more can be found at your local Virginia Beach Public Library location.

No comments: