Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A Pig, a Fox, and a Box by Jonathan Fenske

I agree with the Geisel (Dr. Seuss) Award Committee that this is a book for beginning readers that is worthy of honor. Just a few words and simple pictures bring to life the tricky Fox and his trusting friend Pig. Fox's tricks and his comeuppance reminded me of Wile E. Coyote. They all involve a little box that would be irresistible to a cat, or maybe a fox.

It is vitally important that a book for beginning readers have a story that intrigues and satisfies, told in enough words to stretch the reader but with picture, context, and repeating sound clues to ensure a successful experience. A Pig, a Fox, and a Box has all that, and beside, it made me laugh out loud. Gerald and Piggie are another pair of friends in a beginning reader series by Mo Willems. Try I will surprise my friend!

Review by Carolyn Caywood, retired from VBPL

No comments: