Friday, February 19, 2016

Big Stone Gap

[Cover]




Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, the small town of Big Stone Gap is home to Ave Maria Mulligan, the town's pharmacist, member of the rescue squad, and director of the yearly summer drama production. She plugs through life with many friends, many hobbies, and a love of the bookmobile until she suddenly discovers that she may not be the person she always thought she was. And once she realizes that there might just be more world and life outside of her small town, the novel Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani takes off on a wild adventure.

For those of you who may regularly read the blog, you know I'm involved in a reading challenge, and Big Stone Gap is my "set in your home state" category. Having a librarian's curse of being a very slow reader, I've quickly realized that in order to get through my challenge, I'm going to need to add some audio books to my list, and I picked a winner with this novel, read by the author. Adriana Trigiani grew up in Big Stone Gap and wears as many hats as the heroine of the story. Author, playwright, television writer, and filmmaker, and one of the most talented audio book readers I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. She brings Ave Maria, and the story of Big Stone Gap, to life, and I'm so glad I chose to listen to this one.

Big Stone Gap is about discovering who you are a little later in life. It's recognizing that every day is a new day, and you can be a new person whenever you choose. You'll love listening to the adventures of Ave Maria in her search for her past and her future.

No comments: