Friday, November 06, 2015

Slaughterhouse 90210

by Maris Kreizman


So, working in a library, I'm sure people think I am far too busy tackling my "to-be-read" list to sit and binge watch 90's TV shows for hours, right? SO WRONG! I will admit I have succumbed to the guilty pleasure of a non-stop marathon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And, yes, I have been drawn to the cover stories of People magazine. And, OK maybe, I have watched the movie, Clueless, probably more than anyone in America. But in my time away from the tube, I refresh my brain with Fitzgerald, Vonnegut, and Salinger. 

Thank you Maris Kreizman for understanding me. 



Kreizman started with the Tumblr blog Slaughterhouse 90210 about five years ago with a simple objective: pairing an image from pop culture with a quote from literature. The results being a mix of witty zings but also ironic insight into today's entertainment industry. In a quote from Kreizman about the blog, "The whole thing was supposed to be about how funny it was to blend high and low culture." And it is funny. Olivia Pope in Scandal paired with Donna Tartt; Liz Lemon of 30 Rock with Zadie Smith; Simpsons and Ernest Hemingway are just a few reasons why you need to check this book out. For TV personality turned author, try Mindy Kaling's new book Why Not Me? For more hilarious, blog-tastic female writers, place a hold for Jenny Lawson's Furiously Happy.

Review by Stevie Z.



No comments: