Monday, September 28, 2015

But I Could Never Go Vegan! by Kristy Turner

Let me begin by saying, I don't know that I really and truly ever could go completely vegan - I just really love cheese. With that said, I think that But I Could Never Go Vegan! makes a compelling argument for ditching delicious, melty cheese, among other things.

An on again-off again vegetarian for years, I am always on the hunt for new and creative recipes when I decide that meat is not an option again. This offers a number of tasty, healthy options and some maybe not-so-healthy options.

Buffalo cauliflower calzones and peanut butter banana buckwheat pancakes were a big hit in my house. Cauliflower bisque was so simple and yummy that it has become a staple of my regular cooking routine.

With lots and lots of photographs (because any cookbook worth its salt is loaded with pictures) and easy to follow recipes, this is a hit for even the toughest meat eater. Additionally, there are useful substitutes or alternatives if you're just not quite sure what buckwheat groats really are. With all that said, I think I should, somewhat guiltily, admit that I did also use real cheese in some of these recipes - apparently I really cannot go vegan. This is in no way a reflection on the quality of this book, and more so a reflection of my poor self control. Or my immorality for reviewing a vegan cookbook and eating cheese. But, my indiscretion may provide a stepping stone for those delving into the vegan world. Baby steps. For a greater nudge in the vegan direction, you might also check out the author's website, Keepin' It Kind.

Or if you're looking for more vegetarian and potentially vegan meals in great cookbooks with plenty of photos, check out Herbivoracious or The New Middle Eastern Vegetarian.

No comments: