Thursday, July 16, 2015

Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give A F*ck: The Official Cookbook by Thug Kitchen


If you like great food and bad language (or at least don’t mind it) then this book is for you!

I’m not one for big, flashy New Year’s resolutions. Once I make a grand statement, I am typically destined to fail. However, this year I did pick a small goal: to eat at least one, dedicated, meatless meal per week. Unfortunately, past black bean tacos, hummus, and some really terrible tofu attempts, I am basically useless at using protein substitutes. Thankfully, I’m not alone and my husband’s colleague was kind enough to recommend this book.

This was our first experiment:


It’s a cold rice-noodle dish with charred asparagus, baby bok choy, citrus marinated tofu, spicy ginger sauce, and lime. And it was amazing!

Beyond simply giving the reader a recipe, Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give A F*ck: The Official Cookbook goes above and beyond to teach you how to modify and reuse elements (like the sauce) any how to properly use various ingredients. For example: the tofu. We have already established my track record with tofu. This book told me how to extract the excess liquid and properly bake the tofu so it took on a wonderful firm texture (not to mention the killer marinade that gave it its own distinct flavor). The end result was nothing like the wet mess I came out with in previous tofu run-ins. It made me willing, and even excited, to give tofu another try!

If you’re looking for more great cooking, try the Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon, or (with one of the longest titles I've ever seen) But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes That Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It's Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner by Kristy Turner. These and more are available at your local Virginia Beach Public Library.

No comments: