Thursday, October 16, 2014

Teen Read Week Part 4

This week is Teen Read Week @ Your Library!  VBPL is celebrating by bringing you some teen literature recommendations written by volunteers from the library's Teen Advisory Group.

Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson was a book about a girl who is struggling with an eating disorder. This book is written so beautifully that it allows the reader to get into the main character's mind and think how she thinks. Although no one should read this if they can't handle books with sensitive themes.

-Mara, Teen Volunteer-


It’s just your average day for these five teens. They went to school, ate with their families, and were… oh, you know… kidnapped by the universe’s most evil supervillains: the Vindico. What would these villains possibly want with five angst-filled teenage brats? If you guessed the villains wanted apprentices to take over for them then you are correct. The Vindico by Wesley King is a dark and humorous novel. It’s a great read for anyone who likes the ever-changing emotion of teens or the X-Men.

-Abriel, Teen Volunteer-


When I was first assigned The Color of Water to read over the summer for my AP English 11 class, I was not very excited.  However, once I started reading it I realized that it is a great story that tells the story of a boy's struggle in a racist world, and more importantly his mother's, who was born to an abusive Jewish family but later married a black man and converted to Christianity. The book alternates points of view from James's, the boy's, point of view, to his mother's growing up which I found to be an interesting addition.  This is a great read that I would recommend to anyone!

-Gabe, Teen Volunteer-

One word cannot describe how I felt while reading this book. With a captivating story line, well developed characters, and an amazing plot, I was entranced from the day I picked it up. After that day, I simply could never take a break from reading it.  The Vicious Deep is sure to pull in many readers with the tide. Zoraida Cordova did an outstanding job on this piece of art, and I am looking forward to reading more of her work.

-Darryl, Teen Volunteer-

No comments: