Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Midnight Library by Kazuno Kohara

As a librarian, I often think it would be lovely if there was a library open at all hours so that I might enjoy the library experience outside of working hours - simply reading in a quiet corner or listening to a storytime rather than presenting one. And if I were an animal, I think I've found the perfect place!

Inside the Midnight Library, the little librarian works with the assistance of her three nocturnal friends, the owls. Together they help each nighttime visitor a book. There is a quiet reading space and then the squirrels have band practice in the activity room. The little librarian even teaches a reluctant turtle how to check out books.

In shades of deep yellow, blue, and black this images evoke the darkness of night but the warm glowing light of the library. This is a lovely book for reinforcing print motivation - or a love of books - because I do not see how anyone wouldn't fall in love with this book. I might be biased, but this book is just too precious. As well, it is right in time for Library Card Sign Up Month in September and a great way to teach children about the wonderful library.

If you want some more great books set in the library, try But Excuse Me That is My Book ( A Charlie and Lola story) by Lauren Child or Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

No comments: