Monday, May 26, 2014

William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher


When I first stumbled across this title I thought it had to be hilarious; just the concept had me grinning! Once I finally got my hands on the book and started reading it, I was hooked. Ian Doescher has perfectly recreated the first film of the original Star Wars trilogy, all in Shakespearean style. And Ian doesn't simply retype the text; he expertly recreates the beloved films on paper through stage cues, character asides, and a chorus that explains background information, scene changes, and (what would normally be) onscreen character movements.

My favorite character in the book is little R2D2. Although his actual lines are all beeps and squeaks, the asides into his inner thoughts and motives are hilarious! His role really blooms as he becomes an instigator in the events that unfold and an affectionate antagonist to his golden counterpart, C3PO. I also really love Ian's portrayal of Darth Vader. He has a very melancholy, Hamlet-esque personality and is prone to soliloquy when left alone in corridors.

In reading this work I actually  began to understand the plot and political aspects of the film better than I ever had before. As I read I continually though, “Oh, that’s what they were doing! I’ll have to re-watch that.” (And any excuse to re-watch the original Star Wars movies is a welcome one to me.) Not only is the book amazingly well done but it is easily enjoyed by hard-core Star Wars fans and casual watchers alike as a picture perfect recreation of the film.

If you enjoy William Shakespeare’s Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope, finish reading the original trilogy with The Empire Striketh Back and The Jedi Doth Return. Or rekindle your love for the first three films by watching the Star Wars Trilogy. All these and more are available through the Virginia Beach Public Library.

No comments: