Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Cropsey directed by Joshua Zeman and Barbara Brancaccio

Most of us probably remember hearing stories in our youth about supposed serial killers on the loose, stalking innocent victims...especially us! The tale that sticks out in my mind is that of the Bunny Man, an insane murderer who dressed up in a rabbit costume and wandered isolated areas, killing people with an ax. Scary, but fond memories! So when I heard about this movie, I knew I had to see it.

Zeman and Brancaccio originally began work on the film in order to explore the vague persona of Cropsey, a creepy figure from a New York urban legend. But while researching Cropsey's origins, they discovered the horrifying true story of Andre Rand, a child kidnapper from Staten Island. Rand was a former custodian for Willowbrook State School, an institution for intellectually disabled children, and he was  actually living as a squatter on the grounds of the abandoned school at the time of his last arrest.

Cropsey is riveting, eerie and heartbreaking all at the same time. I couldn’t tear myself away while watching it, and I thought about it for days afterward. If you love urban legends, but you prefer them to be a little less creepy, try Resurrect Dead directed by Jon Foy. And for you diehard realists out there, the Mythbusters series might be just the thing!

No comments: