Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty


If you found a letter addressed to you from your significant other only to be opened in the event of their death, what would you do? Cecilia, one of the main characters in The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty finds herself in this situation. At first, her husband shrugs it off and tells her to throw it away, but when he drops everything to come home from a business trip she realizes the contents are more than mere sentimentality. Her life is changed forever when she learns about her husband’s secret.

This novel’s narrative is shared between three women: Cecilia, Rachel and Tess. As their stories unfold, we learn that the women all share a connection. While the women are not always likable, I was enthralled by all of their stories and never disappointed when the narrative would switch to a new character. Moriarty’s writing style is very straightforward, and she excels at characterization and suspense. I neglected my household duties and hunkered down in my armchair every night until I finished this page-turner.

I feel the true measure of a good book is whether I think about it after I have turned the last page. I found myself considering what I would have done had I been in the situation of the characters in The Husband’s Secret. The story is very thought-provoking and will leave the reader with much to ponder.

If you enjoy character-driven women’s fiction with suspenseful plot-lines  search the VBPL catalog for The Husband’s Secret and other novels by Liane Moriarty. Also, try out books by other authors who write moving and thought-provoking women’s fiction: Elin Hilderbrand, Kristin Hannah, and Barbara Delinsky.

No comments: