Friday, December 13, 2013

Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd

I’d been a knitter for 30 years before I had the nerve to tackle socks.  Something about the whole ‘turning the heel’ concept made my brain hurt.  Then I was gifted with some gorgeous sock yarn, and knew it was time to overcome my sock-phobia.

A friend recommended Getting Started Knitting Socks and I immediately checked it out.  The book starts out with the basics of knitting socks, providing step by step instructions and clear illustrations (though I admit to going to YouTube for some supplemental help with Kitchener stitch).  If you’you've never knitted in the round before, Ann Budd describes your options, explains methods for casting on, and illustrates finishing techniques.


But that isn't all. Getting Started Knitting Socks provides the knitter with instructions for working socks with varying weights of yarn and for different sized feet from child to adult.  There’s also information on adding texture and color patterns, including cables and lace.   I've knitted several pairs of socks using the techniques in this book, and have about 3 half-finished pairs in progress.  Sadly, no library book can overcome my ‘knitting one sock and getting bored’ problem…

Other terrific knitting books available at your local library include The Knitter’s Book of Socks¸ reviewed previously by Lennis here. Or if you’re already an experienced ‘sockster’ and want to experiment with toe up or knitting 2 socks at once (something I need to do, obviously!), check out Knitting Circles Around Socks, Knitting More Circles Around Socks or Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks.


VBPL also has some knitting magazines available for download through our  Zinio subscription. 

1 comment:

Lennis said...

Great review! Sock knitting is fun. I love watching the heel turn transform a knit tube into a real sock.