Wednesday, October 09, 2013

My Grandpa by Marta Altes

My Grandpa by Marta Altes is a beautiful and sensitively rendered portrayal of a child's relationship with an aging grandparent. The illustrations depict a small bear and his grandpa enjoying daily activities like taking walks, reading books and simply enjoying each other's company. Simple text lovingly highlights the nuanced relationships between generations.

Though the young bear explains that "occasionally (grandpa) doesn't recognize me" and "sometimes he gets lost" the tale has a feel good message and the last page's "My grandpa is getting old... but that's how he is and I love him" left me wanting to cry and smile at the same time.

Having lost my own Grandma to Alzheimer’s, I could relate to the little bear’s love and admiration for his grandpa, even as he is aware of the toll that time has taken on him. I highly recommend this picture book to anyone looking for a story that supports and depicts the experience of caring for an aging grandparent. This would also be a wonderful resource to share with a child when introducing the topic of Alzheimer’s.

Though simply rendered I feel this picture book highlights the positive experience awarded to those lucky enough to have their grandparents in their lives - I know it made me miss my own. I can admit that I cried just a little  while sitting at my desk writing this review… pretty impressive for a story told in under 100 words.

Check out My Grandpa at VBPL today.

No comments: