Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Things I Oveheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda

I’m not typically a non-fiction reader, but I couldn't pass up the autobiography of my all-time favorite actor/director, Alan Alda! Growing up seeing him portray Hawkeye on the ever popular television series M*A*S*H, I expected this book to be a slapstick commentary full of stories from his filming and directing career. Boy was I wrong… and happily so!

Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself is an introspective and personal book. After a near-death experience and emergency surgery, Alan begins to look back on his life and tackle the big questions about what we really value and what makes a “good” life. He does this, in part, by telling personal stories about events that shaped him, and by looking back on speeches he’s given over the years—trying to find out what he was really saying in the first place.

This book is simultaneously thoughtful and witty; full of insightful ruminations that will really get you thinking about yourself as well. Additionally, Alan narrates the audio recording of this book himself, and no one can tell his stories as well as he can!

Follow Alan Alda on his journey to understand himself, and you just might discover some of the things that shape you in the process.

If you like Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself, then try Alan’s first autobiography Never Have Your Dog Stuffed, or Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher.

No comments: