Friday, July 19, 2013

We Are in a Book! by Mo Willems

Banana!

I made you say a word - I made you say 'banana.'  If you were reading out loud, that is.  And if you're reading Mo Willems' brilliant We Are in a Book!, you should definitely be reading out loud, preferably to a preschooler.


Elephant and Piggie are friends with very different personalities who appear in a wonderful sequence of books by Willems.  All of them are well worth sharing with your child, but there's something special about We Are in a Book!    It isn't often that characters go meta (particularly in children's books) and break down that invisible wall between reader and writer/characters, but Gerald the Elephant and his friend Piggie do just that, with colorful illustrations, and clever dialogue.

I read this book regularly to my 3 1/2 year old grandson (at his constant request) and he reads along with me, and howls with laughter.  I can't think of a better testimonial for a children's book.


If you enjoy Mo Willems, you may also like is for Moose by Kelly Bingham or Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein.


No comments: