Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley

Graphic artist Lucy Knisley is known for her webcomics and her graphic memoirs (including her debut: French Milk).  

Her newest title is a chronological account of some of the seminal moments her life -- with food as the focal point.
The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, Knisley has been immersed in food culture since birth, and in this memoir she portrays in vibrantly colored illustrations how tastes have been central in her memories.

Her relationship with food is refreshing, as she enjoys gourmet cuisine and fast-food cheeseburgers with equal passion, and her illustrations make both look absolutely delicious.

Each chapter presents a specific moment in her life, and each includes an illustrated recipe, as shown below.

This memoir will appeal to teens and adults, whether they are graphic novel aficionados or not. (As a side note: my science-fiction-reading husband started reading this over my shoulder and ended up reading the whole thing with me.)

Readers who enjoy Relish might also enjoy Knisley's earlier works French Milk and Radiator Days, or the graphic memoirs of Alison Bechdel or Marjane Satrapi.



1 comment:

Lennis said...

This looks really interesting! Maybe I can get my SF/Fantasy reading husband to read along with me as well.