Saturday, May 11, 2013

Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant and The New Terrarium by Tovah Martin



I collect hobbies. Last Friday out of the blue, I got the itch to try my hand at terrarium design. Lucky for me, I work in the library and can find books on whatever topic strikes my fancy each day. My first attempts at terrarium craft were fun and the results varied. My 2 year old found the entire "playing in the dirt with mommy" process delightful.
I wouldn’t have known where to even begin this project without the help of 2 enlightening books. Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant and The New Terrarium by Tovah Martin. These titles were my guide throughout the entire process- from creative brainstorming to shopping for supplies.

Terrarium Craft and The New Terrarium are both modern takes on this age old process. Each title has its own strengths and together they provide a wonderfully rounded overview for the beginner.

I recommend Terrarium Craft for inspiration and ideas. This title is wonderful for visual learners who are looking to be motivated by beautiful design. All instructions and examples are depicted in stunning photography. If you are familiar with crafting books, this one follows the traditional layout with basic information in the front followed by specific project designs and instructions.

For a bit more insight into the art of terrarium design The New Terrarium is a wonderful in-depth resource tool. Here is where you can find information on plant selection, fertilizing, ventilation, etc. This book even devotes an entire chapter to "the venue" with detailed descriptions of bell jars, wardian cases, cloches, cold frames and more.

The next time you are feeling inspired visit VBPL to find just the right resource for all of your DIY or crafting needs. And if building a terrarium is on your to do list check out Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant and The New Terrarium by Tovah Martin during your next library visit.

No comments: