Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins




I will admit it...I put off reading Mockingjay until just last week! Embarrassing I know. I have recommended this series to probably hundreds of people. I have pushed it to teens, librarians, family, friends, strangers, VBPL Recommends readers… you get the picture. Yet, I had never finished the series myself. I will tell you why - the rumors got me down. I heard from so many people that they didn’t like the ending that I postponed ending the series myself.

Now, having read Mockingjay, I have to say closure is a good thing.

Collins ends strong. Mockingjay picks up where Catching Fire let off. Katniss has been rescued by (the once believed to be extinct) District 13 and the rebellion is in full swing. Still the begrudging face of the revolution Katniss’s wounds are healing and she is thrust right back into the violence, drama and war that have engulfed Panem.

As with the first 2 books in the series Mockingjay is a wonderful mix adventure and political intrigue with the slightest touch of romance. Collin’s ends this story appropriately, at least in my opinion, with the characters all finding closure…or death. Really, a post-apocalyptic story based on an arena full of children forced to kill each other cannot end with a happily ever after for everyone. And though it doesn’t, you walk away with a sense of peace.

So, if you are like me and have put off finishing this phenomenal series I recommend you check it out at VBPL before the next movie comes out and the books fly back off the shelves. You will be happy you did!

1 comment:

qwilltr said...

This is an excellent review! Exactly what I thought put much more articulately than I ever could have!