Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris

David Sedaris' new collection of essays was released last week. Thus, for the past week I have spent my lunch breaks giggling and snickering in the staff lounge while my coworkers eye me with both suspicion and pity. "Look at her laughing like a mad woman at her Kindle. She might have finally lost it!" I have not lost it. I am in fact discovering. You can join too! Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls!

This collection of essays begins with an author's note explaining the inner workings of high school forensics competitions. Then Sedaris explains that some of the essays to follow are perfect selections to be read at such events. So for reader's familiar with Sedaris' regular personal essays, you will now also be treated to sprinklings of not-so-personal essays about one narrator's distaste for common phrases such as "I'll never forget the time..." among other musings.

Never one to disappoint, Sedaris will leave a stitch in your side from uncontrollable outbursts of laughter. Hidden beneath the humor and recollections are sincere and moving thoughts on the ways of the world, including everything from the importance of familial relationships to socialized health care to adopting sea turtles. Sedaris' newest work is just as hilarious and scintillating as his New York Times best sellers Me Talk Pretty One Day and Naked.

For more laughs you might also try Sloan Crosley's I Was Told There'd Be Cake or Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out without Me?

No comments: