Monday, April 15, 2013

The Lumineers

Kid A
Jesus, Etc.The Miseducation of Lauryn HillStories from the City, Stories from the SeaYoshimi Battles The Pink RobotsYou Forgot It In People

Once every few years an album comes along that makes me push everything else to the side and listen to it over and over again, like some Elmo-crazed 3 year old; it turns everything else in my collection obsolete and I wonder how I ever tolerated that stuff in the first place. Here are ten of the albums that I've obsessed over in the past, in some semblance of chronological order:
1.Pearl Jam - 10 (yes, I'm that old, folks)
2.Radiohead - The Bends
3.Erykah Badu - Live
4.Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
5.Astrud Gilberto - The Very Best of Astrud Gilberto
6.Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
7.Radiohead - Kid A
8.Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
9.Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
10.Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People 
Ok, 11.
11.PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea

And now it's....
First, let me admit I'm not really an album girl. I have commitment issues. And honestly, we live in a digital age when most of us would rather just pay the $1.29 to have the single we like than waste $11.99 just to get that same single. And I'm generally not a fan of the hit single that ends up in the car/beer/camera/cell phone commercial, but man, that "Hey Ho" song is catchy!
This album has a tremendous amount of substance. The music is acoustic and done with very little production, setting it far apart from all the auto-tune ladened popular music (love you, Ke$ha!). The song writing is pure and heartfelt, the lyrics often as melancholy as Dyllan, "I feel a filth in my bones/wash off my hands til it's gone/the walls they're closing in/with velvet curtains" but the music somehow keeps the sadness away. Overall, it's a perfectly balanced album made by real musicians doing classic folk music painfully well. Don't just buy the single. You'll sell yourself ten songs short.
The Lumineers is available from VBPL. Looking for more great songwriting? Check out any of the albums above. Feeling folky? Try Bob Dyllan's greatest hits, Vol. I and II, Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams or Evil Urges from My Morning Jacket. You can find all this great music and more @ Your Library.

No comments: