Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature by Nicola Davies Illustrated by Mark Hearld




Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature caught my eye as I walked past a full book cart. It stood out from the crowd as a gorgeous and oversized work of art. I felt as if I had stumbled upon a secret treasure that I didn't know I was searching for.

Nicola Davies, an author and zoologist, wrote the poetry in this book in such a way as to slow the reader down. The poems lead you to remember the joy of exploring the nuanced natural world as a child. She worked with the memories of her own childhood in the foreground, and the simplicity and wonder of youth is clearly visible in the work. In addition, Mark Hearld’s expertly rendered mixed media illustrations are what make Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature a must have for my own personal book shelf.

If you are looking for a thoughtfully poetic relook at the world "outside your window" or are searching for a book to share with a nature loving child in your life check out Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature today. I would also highly recommend Outside Your Window to artists and fans of collage and nature prints. The illustrations are truly award worthy.

Other new children’s books that may appeal to an artist’s eye include; Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and
Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole .


No comments: