Monday, November 12, 2012

Gone Girl





Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn seems to be on everyone's must-read list lately. And it should be. It is a book that you don't just read; you devour it. And  it shapes and reshapes your world while it holds you in its grips. This book made me do everything wrong for the four days it took me to fly through its 415 pages. I stayed up too late, I neglected to cook dinner, I read it in the car at stoplights, it made me wish the wait at my doctor's office was longer and, on our last day together, I actually put my hand up and shooshed my 3 year old when he came in the room and then failed to take him out to dinner with his Nana under the guise of "not feeling well". It was his birthday. I'm a bad, bad mommy. But no matter how bad you think I am, I'm nothing compared to the lying, cheating, manipulative, conniving, selffish, narcissistic, oddly likeable protagonists of Gone Girl, Nick and Amy Dunne.

This is essentially the often told, tragic story of the dissolution of a marriage related through the diary entries of the betrothed and betrayed, Mr. and Mrs. Dunne. It begins the morning of the couple's fifth anniversary. Nick awakes to Amy happily making crepes in the kitchen. He goes out for a bit, and when he returns, he discovers that Amy has become the title character. She is the Gone Girl.

What follows is a gritty, unflinching search for answers about what happened to Amy, and, more profoundly, what happened to their love for one another. The extent of their depravity is profound, yet you find yourself not only rooting for each of them in turn, but recognizing little pieces of yourself and your relationship in their sick story. I can't give a bit more of it away. I will tell you it will make you look at that man/woman sleeping next to you a bit differently.

Need something to tide you over while you're waiting for that notice your hold is available? Check out Attica Locke's Black Water Rising or The Expats by Chris Pavone. Or if you want to read another interesting look at affairs of the heart, try The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan. These titles are all available at VBPL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a spellbinding book, even though there is really no one to root for. You are drawn inexorably into lives of these people, even as you realize you'd loathe them if you ever met them. Don't let this one go by without reading it!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Love this! I am cracking up at the idea of shushing your three-year-old in order to read the book. I experienced a similar "leave-me-alone" feeling as well and would have probably thrown something if my husband walked in and tried to talk to me during specific events in the book. :) If you haven't read Gillian Flynn's debut SHARP OBJECTS, definitely pick that one up!